Monday, July 16, 2012

Harvest Time!

IMG_6319 by Pike-uliar Gardenings
IMG_6319, a photo by Pike-uliar Gardenings on Flickr.
Got just one zucchini. Squirrels and birds keep stealing the blossoms. But I dug up just one tiny corner of the potato bed and got a bunch of potatoes. There were a surprising number of white potatoes which were just some grocery store potatoes that I planted. The onion here is a red onion from the Maine potato lady. Both potatoes and onions are good since they are immune to attack from bird, bunny, and squirrel.

I am leaving the bulk of the potatoes in the ground until needed. I feel like I heard or read that they will store better in the ground than in the house. We shall see. Oh...one more thing. I let the potatoes flower. I did a little investigating and found mixed benefits to pinching off the flowers. One source suggested you might get 10% greater yield which isn't much and so I figured, why not see the flowers and let the bees have a little pollen.

No comments:

Post a Comment