Monday, July 16, 2012

Flowers from Reed Franklin

IMG_2279 by Pike-uliar Gardenings
IMG_2279, a photo by Pike-uliar Gardenings on Flickr.
A kind of smaller flowered black-eyed susan. They are from my cousin's yard and are doing well...aside from a bunny attack on one which killed it. I have two plants left, doing well. I am hoping they spread and prosper as a living memorial to Reed. They are great plants for feeding birds...especially finches which seem to have evolved to eat these things - their coloration is perfect for hiding in black eyed susan beds. They even have a black dot on the top of their heads that mimics the dark center of the flower.

At times, I have cut off the seed heads, but recently I heard (from Mike McGrath's excellent podcast) that leaving the seedheads on longer can help birds even more. Even if you don't like watching birds, they are good for eating bugs that might attack plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment