Saturday, April 9, 2011

Taters!

IMG_0180 by okfuskee
IMG_0180, a photo by okfuskee on Flickr.
Here's some red fingerlings just about to go into the ground. They are from the Maine Potato Lady. I've always felt potatoes could be my ticket to financial independence. Largest harvest for least acreage. Worked for the Irish (never mind that pesky famine thing) and it can work for me. Although we've gotten some tasty tubers (argh) we've never quite realized my potato dream. Last year was particularly disastrous. I went looking for my bag of seed potatoes to plant and found them, but they didn't look lke what I ordered - different kinds of potatoes, not red fingerlings, not the right size. I considered complaining to the Tater Lady, but planted them anyway in my designated potato spots. Couple months later, I find my actual seed potatoes and realize I just planted grocery store spuds in my prime spots. Didn't get much.

This year will be different as these guys all have their own dedicated spot with nice mulchy leaves and decent sun. I can almost taste them now.

And here's an idea that I might try someday: http://www.re-nest.com/re-nest/gardening/how-to-grow-100-pounds-of-potatoes-in-4-square-feet-081760

No comments:

Post a Comment