Sunday, April 3, 2011

Half and Half

IMG_0175 by okfuskee
red and yellow living in perfect harmony





Onion sets about to be planted. Got these from the Maine Potato Lady.  I didn't naturally think of using these, but seeds never seemed to work and Bambi's parents always used them and so...we tried them out last year. They worked well and we discovered another vegetable that squirrels, mice, rats, and rabbits mostly ignore. They do well, don't need too much love, and you can consume them at your leisure. For about 4 bucks plus shipping ( 50 cents more for the red) you get 70 starter onions. That works out to about a 6 or 7 cents apiece. It should also be noted that onions, like so many other things, have a lot more flavor when you grow them yourself. 

Last year's did well, but didn't get much bigger than a golf ball. I read something about planting them near the surface for increased size. I did not try this since the squirrels mess with anythig they see even if they don't want to eat it. I am hoping the new loose "soil" will allow bigger growth. I have doubts about the ground up leaves, but I think they are closer to soil than I previously thought....and getting closer all the time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment