Saturday, February 26, 2011

Solving the Great Coffee Ground Drought of 2011


Coffee Grounds
Originally uploaded by okfuskee
Everything I have heard or read suggests coffee grounds are a great thing for compost. Worms love it. It adds nitrate. Heats up the compost. Etc. I used to get coffee grounds from Common Grounds/Murky Coffee but they are gone now and the new place, North Side Social, doesn't seem to do it anymore. I asked another local place if they thought about putting grounds out for gardeners, they said no. I should pursue that a little more I suppose, but then I thought....what about work? I know a couple people who make a bit o coffee, so I asked them if they'd share and tadaa...my little blue pitcher now requires emptying twice a week. Not sure exactly how much I am getting - a pound or two a week it seems like. The compost is quite happily munching on grounds and paper filters now.

No comments:

Post a Comment