Thursday, January 27, 2011

Raised Beds


IMG_4988
Originally uploaded by okfuskee
Built these raised beds this Summer and Fall. I became convinced that this is the way to go after struggling with the clay and fill dirt in the yard for about three years. Also - my wife had been prodding me to go this direction for a while.

Each bed took about half a day to build - though I usually spread the work out over a weekend. I, more or less, followed the advice outlined at this site. I liked the idea they had of using PVC piping to make a little structure over the beds that could hold clear plastic or row cover...I haven't done that yet, though. Next year maybe. It was very useful having two drills - one for making the holes and a smaller rechargeable for installing the screws. I also needed two pretty big clamps for when the wood was warped. Beer was also pretty helpful....always goes well with power tools. Photos of the all big bed buildin' action are here.

The wood is untreated cedar and a little pricy. But still cheaper than buying ready made beds. The only place I could find it was ABC Distributors in South Arlington right near the Weenie Beanie. Yup...I said, Weenie beanie.

The cedar seems to come in a couple different levels of quality and if I could go back in time, I would go for the better stuff. I would have also asked if they could have ordered me some more 2 x 6's instead of the 2 x 4's I was mostly using. That would have helped with the cost I believe.

I made 8 beds: one at 2x10, 2 beds at 2x5, 4 beds at 4x8 and one at 4x6. And those are feet. Most are about 11 inches high. I was aiming for about 2 feet in between, but went a little smaller in some places to grab more sun.

The first one was assembled in place. Very bad idea. Better to build and later move.

One odd thing I learned is 2x4s and 4x4s aren't actually the size they say. 2 by 4's are more like 1.5 x 3.5. 4x4s...I am guessing they are more like 3.5 by 3.5. I guess the 2x4 designation refers to their size before they get dried or cooked or whatever happens before it gets to you. All my life I thought 2 by 4s were 2 by 4. But nope.

Later we will cover the paths with cardboard and then perhaps wood mulch. That is the plan anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment