Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hawk Eating Rat


hawk eating rat
Originally uploaded by okfuskee
Started seeing rats this Fall. Hired a hawk to hunt and eat them. results were mixed and slightly disturbing. At first I was worried about the hawk...if he knew his job, was he good and happy in his work. I contemplated interrupting him, but got my camera instead. The rat struggled a bit, gave the impression that he was a somewhat reluctant participant. The hawk gave him a couple head pops and a good shake and next thing I new...it was all over. See it all here in super grainy video.

Why did I have rats? Well, Living just off Columbia Pike in Southern Arlington (Yes, the better half!) presents some interesting benefits and challenges. And rats are apparently one of them. I was using one of Arlington county's $17 composters (well it was $10 when I bought it actually) and...it was just too tempting for the rats. Those things are open at the top and the the old version which I had had pretty big holes in it...and even if it didn't some of my rodent friends can chew the holes bigger anyway. This thing brought lots of visitors. Mr. Rat and Mr. Possum were my least favorite. At least there is one less rat now. Come to think of it, there is also one less possum....but that is a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment