Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Madness Begins

IMG_1816 by okfuskee
IMG_1816, a photo by okfuskee on Flickr.
So here's my first PVC structure. The base is clamped to the bed. I will need some adhesive for some of the top pipes; one came loose while I was testing it's sturdiness. What's the purpose you ask? Well...I am thinking that at some point netting will be added to stop squirrels from eating too many tomatoes. I know they can never be totally stopped, but a few years ago I made a much more primitive structure and it actually cut way down on rodent depredations. And then in the fall, some clear plastic can be added to extends the growing season....if the thing lasts that long.

Mostly, it is 3/4" pvc pipe. The longwise top pipes are 1/2". Might be a mistake as they are a smidge wibley. I am picturing some daring squirrels having some fun with those. The only reason that happened was because the three way connectors I used for the corners were 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2. I probably shoud have made the short upper pieces the 1/2" pipe. Oh well...next time.
Detail of 3/4" pvc pipe clamped to raised bed

2 comments:

  1. Madness implies a disconnect with reality. I think your gardening world is filled with nightmares of real squirrels causing havoc with your crop. So I don't see madness-- I see sanity in the face of a cruel world.

    I like the idea of season extension. What about on the front end? Maybe you could even be so daring as to start some seedlings, in say March, in your greenhouse and then transplant to the other beds?

    --Radical Yonder Abashed Noname

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sure - green houses can be used on both ends. In fact in VA they can connect the loop and be used to grow round season...or so I have heard. Some folk in the valley use them to grow lettuce and greens year round.

    ReplyDelete