Saturday, October 29, 2011

Cover Cropping

IMG_1597 by okfuskee
IMG_1597, a photo by okfuskee on Flickr.
Cover crop for this year is shaping up pretty well. This is red clover - good for fixing nitrogen, less good for weed suppression. It's building up slowly, but I think it will be ready for winter. If it's still there in the spring, I will "plow" under or just compost it. The goal is also to limit erosion and protect soil life from cold, etc. I also think it might help promote that fungus that interacts with roots...but I have no scientific evidence for that. Got the seeds from High Mowing - pricey, but good company to support. One other detail - squirrels seem to be having a pretty fun time killing it here and there. One day...I will have my revenge.

Next year I am thinking about trying rye or oats.

No comments:

Post a Comment